View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakal View Post
Afternoon AO's. I'm very green when it comes to fly fishing. I have an RV located west of Rocky Mountain house. I want to fish Prairie creek and ram river this upcoming season. Again being new to the sport id greatly appreciate any info on where to start with gear. As well are there any anglers here that fish these 2 body's of water that would be willing to put a list together for me as to what flies to purchase. I hate going to buy something that looks good to me and not the fish if ya know what i mean. Better yet if any of you tie your own custom goodies and are willing to sell a kit that would be awesome to.

Looking forward to some advise to get me started
What is your budget?

The Echo Base package is about $200---it has a lifetime warranty on the rod. I have fished the Base many times. It is good and functional, but there is certainly better gear. Rods are measured in 'weights' so a 3wt is much smaller than an 8wt, for example. Most people recommend a 5wt as a 'all-for-one' trout rod.

You will need some 9' 4X leaders and a spool of 4X tippet.

I also think it is critical to get a pair of scissor clamps for removing flies and cutting line.

Your flies somewhat change with the season. The mantra 'match the hatch' means you are casting flies that match the insects that are presently hatching. Spending an hour on learning some super basic bug science will help you catch fish. Prairie Creek opens much earlier than Ram River. There are 3 basic types of flies: nymphs, streamers, and dry flies. Dry flies are probably the most exciting---seeing the fish eat the fly off the surface of the water, but fish eat mostly subsurface fare.

Dries: BWO, Chernobyl Ant, Caddis, Griffiths gnat
Nymphs: Pats Rubber legs, prince nymph, copper john
Streamer: woolly bugger, clouser minnow, and rabbit leech (streamers are awesome, but many are not 5wt rod compatible)