View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Cool

Thanks again Fella's!!

I right look forward to these last hunts of the season for a couple of reasons.
First, they are among the most demanding hunts one can get in on as the whitetails have been open for months previous to this (rifle seasons). Makes them quite twitchy and so the level of challenge very formidable!
And second, I really do like hunting with my bow. It is certainly even more of a "handicap" than my old vertical bow was hunting in this matter (spot & stalk) as a crossbow is one hell of a lot more unwieldy for sneaking through the timber! That said, if I could I would still likely be packing that old compound. Just damn happy that BC allows me to action these hunts with the only bow I can actually use any more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well ya done very good, looks like the elements were a bit sketchy. Wet, slick snow covered roads...
The crossbow and those broad head combination sure are deadly.
The roads were treacherous the entire hunt and the ride home. Pretty well been that way every year since I started getting in on this show. Goes with the territory I guess, it is winter in BC's mountains after all...

I tried a whole series of broadheads out as I did with bows. By the time I collected the Matrix 380, I had pretty well settled on the 125 grain Spitfires. Being mechanical helps them with accuracy, and these were the ONLY ones I ever tried that gave me true field point accuracy to ranges well beyond any I would shoot under hunting situations. That, and they leave one hell of a hole (only once have not had an exit due to the bow's horsepower) which results in great and rather short blood trails. Don't think I'll be switching out either in the foreseeable future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post
... grew up in port alberni first deer i ever shot was a blacktail with a shotgun used to hunt with my father in gold river woss lake area .
Cool! We wandered down here from Inuvik of all places. Like the area a LOT, and don't suspect we'll be wandering off any time soon. I'll run up a post about this year's blacktail hunting for you in a day or two. Nothing quite like the pursuit of these little Timber Ghosts to drive a man nearly over the edge!!

Cheers,
Nog