View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
A velocity node is by definition an accuracy node. It is a 100 to 200 fps band where the groups remain nice and tight. There is a point where adding more powder does not result in more velocity and this is telling you that u are at the max load for that round but this is very different from what guys talk about with respect to velocity nodes. In my books u want the fastest load possible and then play with the other factors to get the best groups possible. The whole discussion of speed versus accuracy is nonsense, I have never developed a load where I could not get close to max velocity and great accuracy at the Sam time. If u have to give up 2 to 300 fps to get an accurate load u are doing something wrong.
And in a larger capacity cartridge, that 100-200fps is usually a 2-4grain variance in powder charge. So I look for a load where the accuracy is stable if I add or subtract a grain or more of powder. If the accuracy changes significantly with .3 or .5 grains of powder in a cartridge using 60-80 grains, I look for another bullet/powder combination.