View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 11:48 AM

Default Coho Fly Fishing BC

https://youtu.be/F7lyiTYMf2E

I know some Albertans fish the lower mainland for coho cause i run into some at the river. Coho in Frog Water on the Vedder River has always been a mystery to me until my buddy Mike Chow graciously showed me the ropes one day.

I will be honest with you... I'm a little jelly of the coho death pool shots. Always makes me think... WHAT? HOW? Where? Why them? Why not me? Why did I go to my spot? Why do the fish gods not smile on me?

Well it happened! Dr Mike Chow and Me have been meaning to get out slaying coho on the fly since Covid was a big deal.

I dabble with Fly Fishing, but consider myself a fly fishing hack at best. While my uncoordinated casts smack down on the surface the coho didn't seem to mind. They chased down and ate my home made flies.

The river has really changed and being low and straight there are few places to wet a fly line. Fortunately there are still some spread around. Keep looking for tell tail signs of fish. Splashing tails on the surface. They love any kind of submerged wood and debris. Rocks too.

If all the stars align and you have fish, good water and the right fly you can entice some bites.

While this certainly isn't for everyone if you have the gear you could give it a try.

I just used one of my 6 wt fly rods with intermediate sinking line and different shades of Wooly buggers to entice the bites with 8 to 12 pound fluorocarbon leader material.

Varying the stripping seems to make a difference in how well you trigger hits.

As for fly colors the best recommendation I can think of is dark when it's dark and bright when it's bright.

Bring lots of flies. I was losing 5 to 6 per outing. They get snagged in trees, on fish and on the bottom. I'm using size 6 to 8 hooks.

Hope that helps you out incase you want to give it a try. Questions below?

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures