View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.
X 2, NT, Not in all cases where activity is not seen, does this mean, that nothing is happening. Eg., Just venture 30 yds. off a cutline and see how much more animal sign you will see, referrring here to moose and deer.

I have a resource road that runs along one side of my boundary and will not set along it becuz of people picking my traps. At the same time, I will trap up to that road, but from the backside and therefore no one will ever see my tracks and that is by design.. It certainly does not mean I have not been there.
I, too "summer fallow" portions of my line. The only evidence of my being, exists basically, from my cabin and radiating from there.. I leave as small a footprint as possible. I'm sure many don't do as I do but I do know that some do, for the same reasons as me and when posssible, more are doing it....