View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
who has actually had these rifles break or fail on them? I've heard lots of horror stories about the package scopes, but not many about the actual rifle itself breaking or failing.

happen to anyone?
I have an Axis II (I think it is) youth model that was a .223. I rechambered as a 20 Extreme with a short barrel for my wife as she wanted something to shoot coyotes that were coming in the yard in spring when the foals were hitting the ground. Everything I did was to save weight for her as she was losing strength - short barrel, fluted, synthetic stock, straight power scope. This thing was accurate to maybe 125 yards then it was more like shot gun patterning which was fine cause the longest shot she would have had was 100 yards. About a year after I lost her I was looking at this gun and it was ticking me off that it wouldn't shoot better - I know it isn't the cartridge. I put a Boyd’s stock on it and bedded the action - wow what a difference! I can hit a 4" gong at 300 yards pretty much all the time, 400 yards I'm hitting a 4" gong more like 7-8 out of 10.

I picked up that Savage when it was on sale with a $50 (?) U.S. rebate. In the end it was dirt cheap. Would I knock Savage or any entry level gun - no. After this experience I can see that they can shoot good and would consider another though my next build will likely be on a custom action. Never say never and I would never say that I would never buy a cheap Savage again - it's shooting good.