View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
We've got a bunch that have started growing between patio bricks that we would like to get rid of. No worries about killing anything nearby obviously. However, we have a dog, so I'm looking for solutions that would be safe for him. I figure Killex wouldn't be a good idea. Suggestions?
I'm in the same boat as you are - don't like using chemicals, like 2-4-D, that are harmful to people or pets despite the "safe when dry" label on the Killex.

2-4-D residual is listed as "inactive when dry" ..... which means it's no longer effective on plants (a 90% reduction in activation/strength upon drying). It's pretty much done it's job and killed within the wet period.

Problem is, even after it's dry, It can be measured up to 6 days thereafter at a concentration high enough to warrant caution.

A dilemma for sure.

On my front lawn, it's Greendrop, worth every penny and I haven't seen a dandelion in years. They use 2-4-D but the dogs don't run around out front very often nor do they spend more than a minute or two on the front lawn and never within days after the Greendrop guy has applied.

My back lawn is terrible this year and I'm not about dig up roots and make holes in my back yard to look like a Beruit bombing run and end up straining my back leading to me laying around with icy hot patches on my back for a week.

I'm debating treating my 1/2 my lawn with Killex and leaving the dogs off that half for a week. Then I will do the other and repeat. That's the thought .... not 100% convinced myself yet.

Just don't trust the label saying it's ok to let kid/dogs on it after it's dry. Even at 10% that stuff is a known carcinogen and poison.

Anyone in Edmonton want to come pull my weeds for me? lol. I have cold beer in the fridge.

Last edited by EZM; 05-23-2017 at 03:52 PM.