View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 AM

If you want to do some light reading on prions like CWD Mad cow, JCD...

Have a read here. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...s-are-forever/

To summarize.

Prions are pretty well indestructible. They contaminate and become glued to stainless steel such as medical tools, knifes, tables, cutting boards etc. And can transfer from those surfaces to contaminate and be Infectious for almost ever. People have been kown to contract JCD from surgical tools (sterilized and sat for 2 years) which had been used in another patient years earlier.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that even if one CWD animal passed through a butcher shop. The knives, boards, tables, all would be contaminated potentially forever. Virtually nothing you can do to destroy them off a surface once contaminated.

Another scary thought. Prions and diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's have close similarities. These amyloids, like prions, stick to surgical instruments “like glue” and survive standard sterilization procedures. They, too, are distressingly hard to "kill".

There is a hypotheses that those diseases may possibly also be transmitted by surgical tools.

https://www.nature.com/news/the-red-...imer-s-1.19554

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post

I don't believe CWD consumption is an issue for humans at this point or we'd have Corona virus level panic at this point.
Keep in mind this corona virus didnt exist or Atleast wasn't communicable to humans until a few months ago. some disgusting market was selling snakes and seafood together for peoples consumption. Somthing mutated and boom infectious to humans.

Quote:
IF CWD is/becomes infectious to humans, the concern of cross contamination during processing is likely very low.... but who knows.... .
It would seem to me, that If sterilized surgical tools can transfer the prions to infect people, cross Contamination is almost a certainty. Since there is little way to sterilize items used in processing.

Last edited by CanadianEh; 02-09-2020 at 09:19 AM.