View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Default nothing wrong with training your own

Old analogy is you brush your teeth everyday but when you have a problem you go to a dentist.
Not all dogs come and stay for months at a time.
Some get a puppy and admit they dont really know what or how to train or dont have the equipment or grounds for land and water training without traveling great distance so leave the dog here.
Some fall into the trap of only playing and socializing the puppy for the first 6 months and realize the obedience (or field work) now needs to be accentuated.
Some just want a little help with the head start program or a training plan they can do themselves so they avoid as many rookie mistakes as they can so they (or me) don't have to back track and spend time fixing things.
Many of my "clients" have become friends and hunting partners and are on their third or fourth dog self training since I trained the first dog for and with them 30 plus years ago.
As I have probably said 100 times on this forum training the dogs is easy it just takes consistency and control but showing a new owner the do's and don't before they become bad habits often avoids an expensive session in the future. Sometimes the training of the owner is the most challenging and it is often not because of their attitude but rather the information overload. Why we instill certain skills in a puppy we don't expect to need until a year or two down the road just because they are more receptive at a young age. Whistle sits and remote whistle sits comes to mind as an example and I generally start this by 4 months so it is ingrained in the first year.

Last edited by wwbirds; 10-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.