View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 PM

I know people who are extremely pleased with bird dogs from both Randy (Blackfoot Kennels) and Maunty (Ringneck Kennels).

To provide some balance, I understand Maunty's position.

I sent my first dog to a pro trainer back in 1985 as a 17 yr old kid. She was a GSP I bought as a 3 yr old derby dog after becoming friends with the owner who was Pres of the Edmonton Pointing Dog Club via the sportsman's show when they used to have a display. She was a tremendous hunting dog, with Derby placements, but the owner had 4 dogs and wasn't giving her the time she needed. She had promise, so I made my dad a deal that I would pay half the monthly fee to send her to Bob Dietering, a well known pro in Spokane, who is now in the GSPCA Hall of Fame as a trainer.

She got down there and he broke her in short order. The first Open Gun Dog Stake she ran in (Inland Empire Brittany Club), she beat 35 other dogs to win first place, with at least half being run by pros. She was good. Anyhow, I flew down to Spokane during Spring Break to visit her. What a wonderful thing for a kid who lived and breathed hunting dogs. I was in my glory. Later that summer, in July, I drove down to spend more time with her.

Bob and his family were great with me, letting me stay in their home. However, after leaving, both times, he told me he had to back up in her training as she was not the same after I left. She acted like a different dog.

The point is, that there is more than one way to get to the same destination, and I know firsthand that Maunty is not being unreasonable. It may seem harsh, but he wants his clients' dog to succeed as much as the owners do. His livelihood is based on it.

Both are good. Add WWBIRDS to your list and you have the three best upland trainers in the province, IMO.

Good luck.