Thread: Outboard Prop
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 09:46 PM

I have never been a fan of stainless props for the same reasons mentioned above. If you boat, you are going to run over a stick or two and hopefully avoid a bigger log but when that happens with a stainless prop, your trip can be over. Not because you will spin your hub, (most hubs are designed to spin before you shred your spline and gears) but because whatever you hit gets pushed into the skeg as the stainless prop will not give - she will shred and shoot whatever it hits.

Aluminum will bend, break and warp if you hit stuff, but won't cause massive damage to your lower unit. Back to shore, a swap out for a spare and you are back and on the lake in 20 minutes.

Stainless will perform better, they are stiffer, will give you better hole shot and top end - BUT let's be real, a stainless may take a boat like mine from like 48-49 mph to maybe 52-53 mph ......... and that's irrelevant to me. I use a low pitch prop for better holes shot, and control anyways. I have already made the sacrifice in favor of performance that actually counts. Speed boating isn't one of them.