View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM

I lived in Whitehorse for a few years.

South of Whitehorse, approx 80 km's, on the Alaska highway, take the Atlin lake turnoff or Hwy 8. If you take that road and continue past the Atlin Lake road (keep going west), you will find Tagish River which is the river connecting Tagish Lake and Marsh lake. The river flows north into Marsh lake which then becomes the headwaters of the Yukon River.

Anyway, if you drive west from the Atlin lake corner, you will drive over the Tagish River bridge - I'd guess 40-50 km's off the Alaska hoghway. Early in the year, Lake Trout and Grayling will be in the river. There are a number of locals that will fish right off the bridge and have some success. I always launched my boat there as it was the first open water in that country and went north to fish Marsh. Would usually catch good numbers with the occassional hog. Marsh gets quite a bit of pressure as there are quite a number of cabins on the lake and thus, the lake receives a fair bit of pressure.

I always found that fishing Lakers in the Yukon was hit and miss in early spring as they are spread everywhere around the lake. June they start going a bit deeper, but unlike Alberta, the thermocline never really gets deeper than 40-45 feet. The lakes there are deep mountain lakes and are always cold.

Tight lines......