View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Goodbye international business investment, hello higher taxes to fund widespread social welfare and wealth redistribution programs (taxes taken from everyone, given to the less fortunate after having been skimmed by a labyrinth of new unionized gov't agencies).

The 1%ers did need a swift kick and while I'm far from being one this scares the hell out of me.

I do however think they might bring in some programs where we could get a better return for the people of the province from the sale of our natural resources. Norway's program is enviable. Perhaps there will be some benefit, but I'm doubting it will offset the rest of the train wreck.
The only change to international business investment other than what was already happening plus some minor tweaks is going to be because they are trying to play hardball to break an NDP gov't and maintain rock bottom taxes in order to maximize profits. Regardless of fearmongering NDP has clearly stated they will not turn the screws while the chips are down. If a 2% tax increase means businesses shun AB then sayonara. But let it be clear you won't be invited back for the next round of development when prices are up and profit potential is strong. And you won't take advantage of AB business while living in a different jurisdiction. If we aren't prepared to play hardball then we as AB'ers should be prepared to have our pants pulled down around our ankles.