View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
Why would bullet and gun powder manufactures, along with reloading books indicate volocity and energy? Is it only volocity that counts and not energy? Are these manufactures been feeding us a myth all of these years? Is a 125 grain bullet equal to a 220 grain bullet when shot from a 30-06? Why do some animals fall and others run off? Does "Sheephunter" know something that these bullet manufactures don't know? I have been reloading for 28 years and can't believe that I have been duked for so long! Tell me more "Sheephunter" that this 53 year old hunting veteran dosen't know?
Flint, if you actually read what I posted, you'd have seen that I said that there were basically two wound channels, a permanent caused by the bullet going through the flesh and a secondary, non-permanent that is a result of that "energy". While the two work together to shock the animal, in all but the most rare of cases, it's only the permanent wound channel that causes death. The non-permanent wound channel can cause a temporary disruption of organs, nervous system and such....a knock down factor of sorts but only in very rare cases does energy actually kill when a bullet strikes an animal.

Energy can also be used as part of the calculation in comparing penetration of equal bullets. Manufacturers really don't need to include the energy as energy in tables is a direct result of velocity and mass. Throw a one pound rock twice as fast as another one pound rock and it has twice as much energy. Energy is one of those over used and little understood terms when it comes to bullets. It was important in the days before controled expansion bullets but honestly has far less importance these days. Energy does not kill nor does it have a universal effect on the penetration of all bullets.

No need to be condescending, I'm just passing along what I've learned along the way. BTW, the 53 year old age card has little effect on this 50 year old....

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-09-2010 at 01:14 PM.