View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Not sure where i said that or even implied it. Also not sure where i based the success of the flames purely with the oilers, considering this is an Alberta forum and we're discussing the flames and the oilers logic would dictate that comparisons will be drawn between the two Alberta teams. Care to address the draft pick questions, the horrendous decisions made managerial wise from oilers brass the last decade, the competitiveness of the league or terrible oiler contracts? Or just continue to question my logic and use made up quotes?
Wasn't trying to offend you whatsoever. I thought the quote was an example of a lot of the logic being used by fans on both sides. I figured it was obvious that I wasn't quoting something you had said. I'm also not a Flames or Oilers fan, so addressing any of those questions isn't bothersome to me.

Draft picks: I don't think they've necessarily been terrible, but what the team has achieved, or not achieved, is pretty laughable. Until fairly recently, the Flames' drafting wasn't anything to write home about.

Horrendous decisions by Oilers brass: Doesn't get much worse than that, haha.

Competitive league: The league is certainly competitive, it adds a ton of excitement. That said, more teams make it than don't, and the Flames have made the playoffs 2/9 seasons, with a sweep in one. The league is competitive for everyone, but that's mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
To be clear the flames have NEVER had the 1st overall selection. The Flames have Never finished last. The Oilers have almost as many last place finishes as they have Stanley cups, however, I don't see you Oiler fans pointing that out over and over, and the last place finishes are much more recent then your Stanley Cups.

If we are being honest, the only reason the Oilers have any hope at all is because of McDavid. If you did not end up with McDavid, the Oilers would be worse now then they were a decade ago. So management for the Oilers has been terrible if not laughable, the hope was it would get better when you finally got rid of Kevin Lowe and Company but it hasn't, it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

There is a high level of parity in the league now and realistically any team that gets in can win it all. The Flames management has looked at their roster decided where their weaknesses were and have made moves to improve the team. They may not all work out, however, from what I see the Flames are greatly improved over the team they iced last year. The only thing I would have liked to see is the addition of a solid back up, but I also think that one of our many goalie prospects has to finally take the ball and run with it. The only way for that too happen is they have to play with the big club, if we had an experienced back up that opportunity wouldn't be there.
I'm not an Oilers fan. My team last won the Cup in 1927. Oilers management has been terrible, no question about it! "Tree" is on his last coach though, make no mistake!