View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Blades

Default Re: Xbow

"Sheep and blades I ask you why then does my pin gap barely change "
"If I read the xbow trajectory charts right, at 40 to 50 and 50 to 60 yards your pin gaps will be much larger than 30 to 40 yards. Obviously the xbow is slowing down also meaning the KE is going down as well!!"
The answer is simple....basic balistics.....a heavier projectile keeps its energy longer than a lighter projectile. Generally, the horizontal bow launches a smaller arrow than a vertical bow, so energy loss is quicker...thus the trajectory is more of an arc, resulting in sight pins being farther apart(after 35 to 40 yds)

"I meant it's efficiency is inferior(how it launches the arrow), hence the 200lb draw weight"
Again, basic physics.....on your vertical bow, say your power stroke(draw length) is 28 to 30 inches, and limb strength is 60 to 70 lbs to achieve arrow speed of 280 to 290 fps. Now to acieve the same arrow speed on a horizontal bow that has a short power stroke(draw length) of 14 inches, you will need more powerful limbs......'about' 2 to 1 ratio.....works out to approx 150lbs....and this is the point I think you have missed, with a shorter power stroke(draw length) you need more powerful limbs to achieve the same arrow speed(and KE) as a less powerful bow with a longer power stroke(draw length).
The principal is the same wether or not the limbs are mounted vertical or horizontal. I have seen vertical bows with shorter power strokes(they had draw locks) and much more powerful and shorter limbs.
I did explain this before, but I hope that I have clarified these points.

Todd