View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry to put a damper on things, but if you want a little trapper's cabin, you pretty much are going to have to be trapper, which means taking the trapping course, getting a license, finding a trapline you can afford and trapping it! Traplines in Alberta can be very pricey so if all you want is a cabin, perhaps you can look for cabins or lots for sale near a lake or something like that.
Ok that's what I was thinking. I would take the course. It would cost me like 6 days and couple hundred bucks I'm sure. And Ive all ways wanted to try trap a few things, nothing major it would take me forever to trap enough squirrels haha. some lake lots around Lac la Biche are 60,000 to 100,000 dollers...for just the land!!

Id have to shop around but something between lac la biche and ft mac would be awesome, something quad in or drive in winter would be awesome, doesn't have to be on the lake.
Quote:
Find yourself a farmer and/or deeded land, treed, beside a lake or river front and negotiate a lease and then do your thing. Wish you luck and i believe this is the way for you to go.....
Sounds like a good idea, keep it neat and tidy, close gates, maby fix one or two. Would prolly cost less than a line+course fees.Thanks
Quote:
I had a retired friend buy a trap line last year and we repaired the out cabin on it last fall and started a new main cabin a couple of weeks ago, for exactly that reason a place to spend a couple months a year in the hills.
Now who do you see taking this away from him ?
There is a line with a couple of great log houses on it that is owned by 5 or 6 retired guys and they have had it for about 10 or 12 years now. That line has more tree stands and blinds then traps.
The fact is if you have the money you can pretty much do what you like is how I see it.
They do a bit of trapping but truly its only for fun and a way to get out.
I have spoken to a older fellow about his line and for a price its for sale to anyone with cash in hand....
In most cases a line sells for a lot less then most lake lots ... and a lot more private.
If in fact this isnt possible how is it happening right now on many lines???
Yea I figured money was involved lol it always does, I also agree that a line would cost less and more private as well. Not that its a bad thing, My dad need some more friends to sip by the fire. He deserves this. Great man..
Quote:
Brian, I know what your saying but truly who is going to police this?
As you know many of the lines in Alberta are not trapped to their full potential
and plane and simple there isn't anybody that can do much about it.
Like I said these lines "that I speak of" are being trapped, but on a casual or short time basis. Shoot a couple of wolves and catch a few martin to show the friends and kids.
So Unless there is a quota put on lines who's to say that people do or don't trap sufficiently enough to keep their line. Abuse of privileges is very tough to prove beyond a shadow of doubt in any type of operation including trapping. The ASRD's hands are tied with lack of personnel and reprisal for their actions. Times have changed, I would like to see how far anyone would get trying to take away a line from someone who paid say $70,000. The lawsuit would blow your mind... remember it must be proven beyond a shadow of doubt.
And NO I'm not painting all trappers with a common brush but what I see is shameful when I look back to the younger years I spent on a line with a fellow trying to earn a living to support his family.
Plain and simple Now a day "Money talks" like it or not.
So to the fellow who started this thread you bet you can get a cabin in the woods but it may take you some time to pay for it.
Good luck.
SST
Yea I could see SRD checking me out, Especially if I unknowingly set by someones line. Definitely want to do it legally, dont want a headache. And yea you gotta pay to play, But I just don't have 25,000 plus to buy a place. He doesn't need a chateau louise. It would our little spot. So now I think best thing to do is search and get an idea what lines cost. Then discuss with my pops. Or find a Landowner willing to let us hutterights set up camp.