View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 12:59 PM

Not sure I agree with the idea that the aluminum arrows would become brittle over time. I had quite a few (some that I recently gave away to a kids camp) that were just fine for many years.

A typical tuning scenario for a bow first means adjusting the draw length and poundage to the shooter. Sounds like you have that at a point where it will work. Then, with proper spined arrows, you need to adjust the nocking point and arrow rest so the arrow flies as straight as possible. That takes a little tinkering, but (usually) not too difficult. There are some good you-tube videos on doing that, but the idea is to get the arrow to fly straight. Once that is achieved, put on broadheads (with dull blades - sacrifice a few sets to do this) to shoot into a foam target. Start close to the target to see if they hit the same as field points. Aim at different spots with each arrow when using broadheads, to avoid wrecking an arrow/broadhead by hitting one in the target. You might have to make more adjustments to the rest and nock point to get them to fly as close to the same point as possible. You can switch broadheads from arrow to arrow, if you have problems with the blades clearing the rest/riser and if one arrow just doesn't fly.
Once you have arrows matched with broadheads that all fly well, to your furthest effective range (where you can keep each arrow within a 6" circle, or so) switch the blades out for razor sharp blades. That broadhead then stays with that arrow. Don't shoot the sharp blades into a target - that will dull the blades (unless you plan to resharpen them). If you want to shoot the broadheads more, switch to dull blades for practice, sharp for hunting.

Hope that helps - maybe a bit of a long read, but that is the basic idea to getting broadheads to fly properly and be effective and ethical when hunting.

One further note - being a good shot in archery is all about repeatability. Solid form, clean release, etc. is all about doing it the same on every shot. Do it the same every time and you will hit the same place.