View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 04:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I new to hunting this year, but I have been shooting pistols for 15 years. I have always wanted to hunt and didn't grow up with anyone who did or who could teach me, last fall -halfway through the season - I decided to write my test and teach myself. I got my study guide, wrote 2 days later and had my hunter number 7 days after that.

I live in BC and started late last fall going out on my own, with a $400 rifle and no equipment at all, just a knife and a cheap backpack. I am a financial analyst by day, so I didn't have a truck and the roads were hard on my car, but I just did lots and lots of walking.

I had 4 separate opportunities on WT does, but I passed them up wanting a rack. (My first of many mistakes).

I hunted bear this spring and had a close call with a large black bear. I shot him, but must not have hit him in the vitals and he charged me making a horrible grunting squealing sound. I had a controlled round feed action, and being used to push-fee I short-stroked the bolt and put the empty casing back in my chamber.

I remember thinking to myself "I'm going to get mauled" and just before I managed to clear the chamber and get a second round in, the bear stopped maybe 10 feet from me and cut into the treeline. I had to hike out and call a friend and when he finally got up, we searched for 5 hours, but couldn't find the bear. I feel bad I wasn't able to retrieve the animal.

Anyway, great to be a part of the forum!