View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Seek Outside Redcliff with the Ti XL stove owner here. Previously I would just camp in an MSR Hubba during October and November hunts and deal with the suck of wet and cold as part of the game, so I speak as someone who is not coming from a canvas wall tent or a trailer. With that said, I can't believe I went out without a hot tent before. The stoves can get the tent so toasty warm after a long day and it's such a nice dry heat that it zaps that chill out of your bones. As others have said it dries gear which is really nice. Best thing is first light mornings though. The night before I get some water, my coffee cup and a Starbucks Via ready to go. I set my alarm early, lean out of my bag and throw some small seasoned wood and kindling into the stove along with an aluminum fire starter brick. I put my metal coffee cup with water right on the stove and climb back into the bag to sleep for another half hour. I wake up to boiling water, pour the instant coffee in and viola, piping hot coffee before get up and I barely had to leave my bag to get it. Plus the tent is already warm and I can get dressed in warmth now and best of all no more frosty, cold crunchy boots in the AM.

I had screens sewn in because I thought I might use this with the wife and kid during summer camping as well, but I find there is no advantage during moderate temperatures. I just use my roof top tent if truck camping or my backpacking tent and a decent sleeping pad and bag is all that's really needed. I might remove the screens myself as they just kind of get in the way so I wouldn't recommend them.

I did get the half nest which I would recommend. I don't enjoy the thought of bugs crawling on me while sleeping so I enjoy it on the September hunts when the nocturnal creepers are still out, but the lows justify the use of the stove. Also, paired with a tarp it makes a nice light backpacking shelter option as well.

Word of caution though, the ti stoves get unbelievably hot and you really must use caution moving around the tent when it's going. I've already burned a hole through some fairly expensive outer layers which was a bummer and it just takes a moment to happen.