View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Depending on the type of hunting you do and the camp spots you select, these puppies will be one of the best purchases you ever make. Seek outside should have me on the payroll for the amount of friends and clients that I have pushed towards their product. I agree with the previous post regarding true four season tents if you plan to camp above treeline and are not going to have any wood to burn, but below treeline these things are tough to beat.

Biggest things to consider is how many people you intend to have in camp. I own the seek outside redcliff and it is a palace for 3 guys and a stove (although we have done 4 and a stove by keeping gear under a tarp as a vestibule). We did get my brother in law the cimmeron for christmas last year (just a smaller version of the same tent) and it is awesome for two guys and a stove. The one nice thing about the Redcliff is the ability to stand up in the middle, but you do pay a little bit of a weight penalty for it. The larger footprint also can make finding a suitable campsite slightly more difficult. Personally, I love the Redcliff (and more importantly so does my wife in the summer), but when it is just my brother-in-law and I we take the Cimmeron.

I personally prefer the pyramid style vs a true tipi just because when you guy it out it gives you a slightly better layout and more useable space. You certainly lose a bit of wind efficiency with a pyramid, but our tent has been in 80km gusts on the side of a mountain and handled it with no issues (not that I look to replicate the experience). The reality is that if you choose your camp locations well you can usually mitigate any potential downside to the pyramid design.

Little bit on stove's....it is unbelievable to have the ability to dry out your clothes every night and stoke the fire in the morning, but if you are coming from a wall tent background don't expect the same experience. These will burn truly hot for 20-30 minutes in average conditions. I went ahead and purchased the Lite Outdoors stove from Brendan in Lethbridge to save some cost, and am generally happy with it. This could be a good option for you because the Seek Outside stoves are significantly more expensive. Having said this, the Seek Stove's do perform significantly better, and after seeing my Brother-in-law's in action I have since upgraded. That is not a knock on the Lite Outdoors product in any way, but I have come to realize that whether it is binoculars, packs, or tents you generally get what you pay for.

By all accounts Kifaru also makes a great product, but you truly cannot go wrong with Seek Outside.