View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM

I'm lost now. What kind of pointer we talking? If its a big running english pointer on pheasant, most labs worth feeding would be way better IMO. If its my Griffon, well he has outdone the labs that I have hunted roosters with him. Talking wild birds here. BIG difference hunting wild roosters vs. realeased birds. My dog has never caught a wild pheasant after 8 years on them. He has caught more than a few released birds though.

There is also good and bad dogs in a lot of the breeds. Labs with no desire to hunt/retrieve. Griffons that are scared of their own shadow. Backyard breeders only interested in a buck, and not bettering a breed. GSPs wound so tight they couldn't sit still in a duck blind for more than 5minutes. However there are lines of dogs in all the breeds out there that can get the job done in style on all sorts of birds.

A well rounded versatile GSP, GWP, WPG, Pudelpointer, etc should be able to change their game from hunting Ruffies in the poplars, roosters in the coulees, Huns and sharptails in the EID lands. I'll take a versatile pointer on upland any day of the week over a Lab. A versatile pointer with desire and training to retrieve can handle waterfowl very well.

If I wanted a dog strictly for ducks and geese I'd get a Lab. That is the hunting they were bred for. If I wanted a flusher for pheasants it would be a Springer with a big motor. I think I'll stick with Griffons for everything though.