View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Hey SNS2, we have a buddy with pointers. His dogs are great at covering the ground. Running non-stop and showing me exactly where there were no birds. Those bloody things were fast but had no nose for roosters. My lab stayed nearby like a good friend, kept me company, and found the birds for me every time we went out. I know not all pointers are like our buddy's dogs, but I will never hunt with a pointer after witnessing the chaos of those dogs. I will stick with my labs.
A pointing breed is great when hunting Sharptails, Huns, etc.....birds that are in the wide open and you need to cover a lot of ground, but it's the rare pheasant that will hold when a dog is on point 600 yards away. I've never seen one. Huns and Sharptail will hold quite well for a Pointer (in the earlier part of the season). Rooster pheasants are like a race horse (talking wild pheasants, not preserve birds). I have a Setter and he'll range out there 500 or 600 yards at times, but he's usually within 200 yards. He's fantastic on Huns and Sharptails, but I can't even rate him as mediocre on pheasants. I've seen him pick up the scent on go on point on a Sharptail from 100 yards away and he won't move a muscle until I get there....He's a lot of fun to hunt with, but when pheasant season opens I take my Springers.....