View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 04:54 PM

Default Behest of The Beef Producer

Didn’t take long at all for a request to come in. A farming friend lost the very first calf of their calving season to coyotes. Or was suspected anyway. Despite having called close to there about a week ago, I was off.

Stand #1

I figured I may as well return to the scene of the crime. Coyotes tracks abounded in the 2 day old snow. But with no cover for a mile in all directions, who knows what could happen. I made a nook in a big drift so I had some shadows and got to calling. 7-8 minutes of distress produced nothing seen in any direction. On to coyote vocals. My howls were answered but the respondents were well over a mile away. If they did come, it would take a bit. I continued with howls and eventually into some pup distress. Still, I had seen nothing. I fired up some Baby Coyote and to my delight, saw a coyote and then another coming my way but still 1000 yards out or more. I kept wailing and they kept coming. As they got closer, The Bitch had lagged and was 300 yards behind the Tom. I had let him close to 70 yards or so and he was swinging to get downwind. I had hoped The Bitch would make up some ground but it wasn’t going to happen. I started my turn with the rifle just before he caught my track, which he did and wheeled. As he was loping back the way he came, I was trying desperately to get him stopped but it took a touch longer than I had thought it would but, he eventually did. A gentle squeeze of the trigger at 173 yards and - you guessed it - BOOM! CHOP! echoed through the crisp morning air. Getting the rifle swung and on to The Bitch, she got behind some drifts on another fence line and was peeking over, trying to locate her mate. I screwed around trying to get her into the open, which she eventually did at what I figured was 500 yards or so. It was calm enough so I figured I’d try a poke. Dialled up and touched off only to see the bullet spray the snow at her feet. “Just a touch further than you had thought hey?” I had a chuckle to myself as I watched her depart, collected my gear and the coyote, a beautiful pale Tom and headed back to the truck.

I apologize for the photo. Not my best work and I have no excuse for not taking a better one.

Upon getting back to the truck, I ran into my friend who was just finishing up chores. Told him I had gotten one and asked if he was interested in joining me, to which he was quite receptive.

We proceeded to do two blank stands despite having several answers to howls. Nothing produced more than Magpies and a neighbours Great Pyrenees so, we decided to go try right beside the Feed Lot. The tracks there, my god. It wasn’t even a question as to whether we would call one here.

Stand #4

I set up with us, about 15 yards from the caller in the shadows of some poplar. A large slough bottom to our south and west, backed by bush, open field to the north. He loves his shotguns and I had high hopes there would be some up close action. Despite all the coyote tracks, rabbit tracks were in equal abundance. Rabbit it is. After a short series of distress, I spied a very dark coyote along the edge of the slough bottom and then watched it vanish back into the edge. Seconds later, a much more pale coyote broke into view and closing on a steady lope. I told my partner that we had one inbound and to ready himself for it to be taken close to the caller. As it came into full view of the decoy which was flicking and flopping, the game was soon to be ours as it broke into a run. His shotgun barked and the coyote came to a proofing stop in the snow at 12 yards. Getting on some pup distress, maybe 30 seconds later, I saw the dark coyote and a huge pale Tom on the edge of the trees again looking our direction. I let loose with some Pound Town and they broke towards our hide. I’m sad to say, I really botched my portion of things. The Tom started swinging wide to the downwind side but The Bitch was closing. At about 45 yards, she spied something amiss and stopped, the Tom about 80 yards out. I was so sure we would be double teaming with shotguns that I was in a bad spot. Shotgun in hand, coyotes not coming closer. “God! Why are you such a glutton? Can’t just be satisfied with an easy rifle kill. No. Have to try and kill everything.” I made my move, emptying my shotgun at The Bitch and I tickled not a hair. On the rifle for the Tom and sent one at him before he made a hilltop and escaped the scene. Also, a gloriously poor miss. It was of course, a calculated risk and this time, the coyotes came out on top. Despite the outcome, it was an exciting stand and my friend got a shotgun victim. Still happy for him though as he was jacked up. He was elated; myself, deflated.

Guess I’m not done yet. I’d still be out but, dinner plans with friends for a Birthday this evening. Maybe more to come this weekend, if I don’t get overly banged up tonight. We shall see…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Lou; 03-08-2024 at 05:00 PM.