View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 05:48 PM
AO Sponsor

I wrote these three posts on the Canadian forum just not so long ago. Sure didn't fee like typing it all out again!

"Surely it is better to relieve the spring for the summer. Having said that, note that I never do! Too lazy!

The Magnum springs are much better designs to handle the load than the smaller, standard size. The Magnum has three coils and the the standard spring has only two. The two coil can not handle as much load as the three coil does.

Folks that gave up on the system, try it again with the Magnum and newer trigger. Nothing short of spectacular IF you use a good lock."

"I actually had about 300 snares laying in a pile that I forgot about for about 3 years. They all had lightning locks and Economy Magnum springs (music wire), all were set when I made them, 3 or possibly four years ago??? (They all needed a tweak which is why they were never used)

This season I ran short on snares, and I remembered the pile that needed the tweak. I relocated them, made the tweak and set them all out. The springs performed flawlessly. Especially when coupled with the lightning locks... 1/16" cable of course. Everything looked like they got in the snares and were shot!!!"

"Some springs you could keep compressed for a century, so long as no rust, will be as strong as the day you compressed it, others not. It depends on the design of the Spring, material, gauge, etc... eg - quality or lack thereof."