View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Default started with a blade

On a garden tractor and guess I didnt plow wide enough as many years ago I made banks on south side of drive the tractor would no longer climb to push snow over. think the biggest problem was the 2 wheel drive on small (20hp tractor). Following year I bought a two stage tractor mounted snowblower and dont think we had any substantial snow for 2-3 years but when I did use it it threw snow 20-30 feet so piling up on edge of driveway was never a problem. Odd time in yard the 2 wheel drive became an issue and it would be a lot of work to get it going with the weight of the snow blower on front. Counter balance weights and chains highly recommended.
Sure I threw a few pieces of gravel until I got the height adjustment right judging by how many times the hydro company replaced the glass globe on the meter on power pole. Still have small tractor and snowblower but rarely hook it up (takes some time) as it is so much easier to put two slide clips in blade on quad. Hard packed wind blown drifts in October 2 plus feet high took some time as I had to take 18 inch to 2 foot slice rather than push the whole blade width but I did get it done and that to date is the toughest snow we have had for several years. 4 wheel drive on quad makes all the difference.
Never had a blade for the truck but if I needed one I would also need to plow routes out to the tree rows and ditches where we plant pheasants all winter. Neighbor has a gigantic 4 wheel drive tractor with 20 foot blade that we have had to use a couple winters to make route roadways so I can get the truck and client trucks to the bird cover but not that often. Perhaps 2 winters in last 20 or so years.