View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
I have both hand loaded and used factory loads for my 300 Bee's.
I chrono'd some 180gr accubond factory loads last spring and was getting an average of 3257fps, 3278fps on the high end and 3231 on the lowest. The box listed the muzzle velocity at 3175fps.
That was out of a 24" barrel. I did not chrono those loads out of one of my other 300 Bee's with a 26" barrel as I had just mounted a scope on the one I was shooting that day and cannot provide a measured difference for the
OP with the same load.
It sometimes happens, that the factory turns out a hot load and it seems more common with Weatherby or some of the early WSM loads. I tested one factory Weatherby load that produced even more velocity than that in my rifle with 26" barrel, and the fired cases displayed extrusion into the ejector cutout. I measured .0025" expansion on the belt, and new primers were too loose in the primer pocket, to reload the cases. Some people might be happy with that velocity, but it was obviously excessive, and the cases had to be thrown away.
However, that was a rare exception, most factory loads fall short of published velocities, often up to 100fps, sometimes up to 150fps or even more. And the same is true for many loads listed in loading manuals.