View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Ive narrowed it down to a MKV hunter xk7 in 257bee or a vangaurd talon in 6.5PRC

Been hitting videos and reviews hard and both are awesome for my needs.

I plan on reloading in next 2 years. Going for a course at P&d

Flat hard hitting 257bee.. for the sake of the romance of it and compliment my 300bee nicely as a go to deer gun. As i hunt alot of open canola fields for mulies and whitetails. . Ammo is not always readily available as most.. but when find one it likes stock up for big $$. Prob wouldnt shoot as much to extend barrel life

And... 6.5PRC. Amazing on game reviews. Ammo readily available at half the cost if not more depending, which results in more range time .. more practice.

Both can, effectively take a moose or elk with proper shot placement, proper bullet selection, and keep within a range with effective energy. I dont like to shoot either unless i have minimum 1700 ft lb energy at time of impact. . Just my preference

I oddly had a moment where i found a Talon in 3006, and thought that was what i needed. Lol.
My 2 cents..

I have owned 257 WBY in both a Vanguard and Mark V. I much prefer the Mark V action, although both rifles were accurate.

I know of guys who use the 257 WBY to take elk and moose, and a 100gr TTSX seems to be the overwhelming favourite bullet choice. I ultimately moved away from the 257 WBY and went to the 6.5 WBY RPM... which I couldn't get advertised velocities out of.
I recently had the chance to shoot a 6.5 PRC and it was quite nice. I found the recoil to be around the same as the 257 WBY, and looking at the ballistics you are going to be getting comparable velocities.

My vote goes to the 6.5 PRC in a Mark V. I would be looking at this if I didn't already own a dedicated sheep/deer rifle in .280AI