View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
For the most part ,I agree but I would really like to know what is meant by the "need and support" thing.
Seems to me the Alberta economy wouldn't even blink if the whole darn works of that industry were elminated. Right now our Big Game hunting opportunities are on a steep decline and will continue to be until they barely exist. Those who are in the Entertainment business of fulfilling hunting opportunities for non-residents in a Province that is experiencing rapid declines in nearly every area, are accelerating this scenario.
Most Outfitters are not totally reliant on their BG Allocations to make a living anyway. I'll bet over 80% of them have other careers that contribute most of thier annual income. To them, Outfitting is simply a glorified hobby, and with many of thier allocations owned by Non resident alien clients

Having said that, eliminating those who currently earn less than 80 % of thier annual income from Outfitting related sources make sense under the existing circumsatances. Plus, it makes it easier for all Residents,including Landowners, (who pay the bills to maintain the resource). Any Allocations, currently owned by Non resident aliens (which are many) should also be eliminated.

Thats the way I've seen it since the 80's and it sure as heck isn't getting any better.
This is exactly it. I have a neighbor who is a "hobby" outfitter/farmer. He does his best to try and run everyone off the land in the area for his own interests. He tries running people off land aggressively that isn't his either. His family members do the same thing and guess what they happen to have landowner tags as well. As far as I'm concerned this type of outfitter is the worst/ most selfish kind. They seem to have this air of entitlement to them that hunting is for them and no one else. I know neighboring farmers who have landowner tags every year as well and wont let others hunt. Its a flawed system all around. Saskatchewan has it right with exception to the lottery type draw system.