View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 02:42 AM

I have a Wheeler. Honestly, I do not remember why I chose it over Lyman at the time, but I definitely recall doing a lot of reading and Lyman being an “inferior” unit in some regards. What it was, I really do not recall. There are quite a few reviews and comparisons of both if you take a little bit of time to google and read.

I would also add that three pulls is not statistically significant, not that I would consider it to be anyway. A millimetre or two/three difference in the placement on the trigger would provide you with results that are different enough if you are going for a certain number rather than feel. Thus, you are going to want to pull it 10+ times rather than three. The Wheeler calculates the average for you and maybe that was one of the differences? I really do not remember. I certainly do remember that after reading, the Wheeler was a clear choice (in spite of being a little bit more expensive).

At the same time, why would you go by a certain number rather than feel? Pikergolf is definitely on to something there and I would think that his method would be just as (reasonably) accurate for most if not all applications. Some of us have a “thing” though and that is ok too. I bought mine to have that “exact” number for comparison purposes. I have used it a few times and don’t regret buying it at all, but I could definitely do without it.

This may not be as helpful, but I definitely decided on the wheeler after doing some good research for a reason, so I would recommend that one. I cannot tell the reasons at this point though, lol. It’s a neat device to play around with, but is not extremely useful for a guy like me. Unless you know what you like, have a number of rifles that you are actively changing (maybe selling some and buying others), and want them all to be set at the same weight.

If you are close by, you are welcome to borrow mine to do your thing and see if it is something you need. I am in Peace River.