View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Unless you believe privacy is a democratic right.

Grizz
I'm on the same page with the DNA registries, while there is a certain novelty factor that I won't deny has some appeal, the potential downside is so bad that it’s hard to comprehend how many people throw caution to the wind and register.

If people consider that when you register for DNA databanks you are not just risking your own privacy, you’re volunteering it away for everyone down the genetic chain from you, including those who will be born long after you’ve died. A bit much there perhaps?

Take for example what will happen when insurance companies get their paws into such data, no medical coverage for your great great grandchild because of that family history of cancer or whatever.

You’re even registering your siblings indirectly when you do these things. One of my half-sisters did.

I’m hopeful that geneticists can make great strides in tweaking out little genetic anomolies and hereditary diseases as time progresses, but I really can’t personally justify the risk versus the mere novelty reward in registering for one of those banks.

Those ‘services’ are much like Facebook in that they sell your data to any company with the cash, supposedly ‘cleansing’ it of your actual identity. I read a mainstream article on them and one fellow was rather easily able to determine a persons identity based on the information that was provided sans name.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-23-2019 at 06:02 PM.