View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Just curious if any of this stuff taken into account with rapid z or stick to 700 yrd or less shooting for most part?
Yes and no. Those are definitely some extreme ranges you are talking about and it is critical to bear in mind the difference that elevation, temp and a host of other variables can make. At 500 yards, none of them would cross my mind but at longer ranges I would adjust where I hold the crosshairs accordingly. But that falls outside the scope of the 10 minute 500 yard course...

You bring up some great points about extreme range shooting and how critical it is to be familiar with the characteristics of your particular catridge. When I went Dall sheep hunting I set my scope for the elevation we'd likely be hunting and ajusted my zero when we got there and then truthed it at long range. It required a total of three shots.

One other thing to bear in mind is that your 100 yard zero changes accordingly with the elevation change. As the Rapid Z is based on multiple reticles and not clicks of a turret, there is a corresponding change in all of your reticles POI. I was shocked how little of a role elevation played.