Thread: DNA evidence
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 03:02 PM

I've read of some of the issues with those various DNA companies that offer testing for peoples curiosities about their heritage, but those companies also sell their data to all manner of companies such as pharmaceutical giants, etc. They apparently clear peoples names and telltale ID from it but an article I read indicated that some researchers were able to figure out whose DNA they had the profile of without great difficulty. I'm curious about it, but not enough to risk the negatives. A half-sister of mine has though, and that's what is creepy and insidious about DNA tracking: your information can be traced without your even having submitted anything...... Imagine being denied health insurance based on your genetic markers? Imagine your children and entire subsequent genetic chain experiencing fallout from your entering their DNA into these companies computers.

Some aspects do seem cool though, picture the police having DNA from a serial killer rapist and entering it into one of these databases and finding a bunch of cousins and relatives of theirs with which to track down their suspect from? Or that same type of DNA-derived digital image on a wanted poster as bat119 posted?

Big Brother indeed. And in perpetuity no less .