View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I have found that the culprit is sometimes the carbon build up that creates a ceramic like fouling and copper solvents will not cut it . Try soaking and scrubbing with a bronze bristle brush ( not nylon )and carberator cleaner . It may take 2 or 3 brushes and lots of elbow grease .I like to let it soak for a while .Don't let it touch the stock. I also will saturate bore with kroil while in storage .
I should have specified. I don’t just use Wipe Out as I’ve found it does little to nothing in regards to carbon. Part of my cleaning regime is to mop the entire bore with Kroil and run a bronze brush, focussing on the throat. I do this several times as running alternated wet(Kroil) and dry patches has shown carbon that was not removed at all during the foam treatment. I’ve found small deposits of copper that were hidden under carbon when giving another Wipe Out treatment after doing this procedure. I’ve also used a Kroil soaked patch with a dab of JBs as a finishing touch.

I agree entirely with you that carbon can be a real culprit but I feel I’m ahead of the game in that regard. Never tried the carb cleaner though. Makes sense.