View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Based on the reviews, I'll be cooking up one of these tomorrow! I also came accross this recipe for "Hali-Dip" this morning:

It’s not the first time I have blogged about Donairs. If you are from Halifax, and you like beer, you probably love ‘em.
I feel like this post should be an informercial. You know how they go… during the set up, they show the clumsiest, most uncoordinated goof trying to do a simple task without success. In this case, there would be a girl in her ‘Downtown Finest’ sitting at a booth at KOD with donair sauce running down her elbows and no-doubt in her hair. She’d look to the camera and exclaim helplessly, “There’s gotta be a better way!”
Now there is… HaliDip! (in my best Billy Mays inspired voiceover)

HaliDip was inspired by a hunger-laden discussion with hubs on the way home from work last Thursday, when he told me of his God-awful (sorry hun) Donair Soup idea. Here is where I reference TV again… if you watched House, you know that moment when someone was talking to House about a totally unrelated matter and House’s eyes would glaze over and he would all of the sudden run out of the room with the diagnosis? That was me, except it was a related matter, I was buckled in and couldn’t run and the diagnosis was actually a recipe.
Well today I made the dream into reality and I think I have put together the next big Halifax potluck and house party sensation… I used my inlaws as willing guinea pigs and everyone loved it!
Hot Donair Dip (aka HaliDip)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
1 8oz container regular cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup donair sauce (from your favourite pizzeria, or better yet, your own)
1 tomato, seeded and diced
Pita chips or tortilla scoops for dipping.
In a bowl (truth be told, I did this in a non-stick frying pan before putting it on the heat), mix together the ground beef and spices and blend well, really, really, really knead it together well. Then fry up the meat mixture, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks, you don’t want any chunks of meat too big… it has to remain scoopable. While the meat is browning, make your donair sauce and then in your cooking dish (a 9″ glass pie plate or small casserole dish) mix together the cream cheese, donair sauce and shredded mozzarella. Once the meat is cooked and well-browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer the meat (but not the grease) to the cooking dish and fold it in to the cream cheese mixture. If you won’t be eating it until later, you can cover and put in the fridge at this point. When it’s go-time, just pop the dip into a preheated 350 degree oven and cook it for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes (and some minced onions if you like) over the top of the hot dip and serve!
Sadly, I couldn’t get my hands on any pita today to make pita chips, so I served the HaliDip with tortilla scoops. Since the dip is heavy, it’s best spooned on.
We all had the best of donair, but no one needed a shower afterward! I’ve done it! The wild Donair has been domesticated!
For only 3 easy payments of $19.95…
LOL Enjoy!
Edited Jan 7/14: I’m so excited that this post has finally taken off! I also wanted to let you know that I’ve also spread the unbaked dip on thick sliced french bread and broiled them in the oven – DELISH!
I'm going to give this a try this weekend sounds good. But I do have to say I judge a donair by the need for a shower. IMO if you need a shower after a donair it was a good donair, if you don't need a shower well then I guess it wasn't a good donair lol. Thanx