View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Are you not suppose to eat these deer? How long does it take to find out if the deer is CWD?
What do you do with the remains if it is CWD? Can you shoot another one?
Is there any outward sign that the deer is not healthy?
Does the disease occur equally in bucks and does?

Thanks. I wish it wasn't moving west.
You can eat the deer. They say that the disease is not transferrable to humans (all my deer and elk have been negative for CWD). It can take weeks to months to get the results back as SRD has a lot of testing to do (the longest I've had to wait is about 3 or 4 months)... as for the remains, there usually aren't much as I don't let my deer hang or sit in the freezer for that long. You can shoot another one if you have a tag for one. And, from the CWD Alliance:
Quote:
The most obvious and consistent clinical sign is weight loss over time. CWD affected animals continue to eat but amounts of feed consumed are reduced, leading to gradual loss of body condition. Excessive drinking and urination are common in the terminal stages.

Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression and repetitive walking in set patterns. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyper-excitability and nervousness. Excessive salivation, drooling and grinding of the teeth also are observed.
[/QUOTE]

As for the questions in your second post... type in CWD in the search window here, on google or any other outdoors forum in western Canada/ US and have your reading glasses handy.