View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I preffer to hunt timber in fairly rugged terain, specifically because the way game uses thermals makes them more predictable... so its something I tend keep in mind. Right around the time I feel the thermal switch I often hear shots or see game, and on days when the thermal drag stays downhill I typically need to hunt in totaly different areas. I've come to feel a big part of this, is that in rugged areas the thermals can often have a big impact on how the prevaling wind behaves.

Keep it in mind and let me know what your observations are if you wouldnt mind.
Thermal (warmer) air movement depends on temp, altitude and topography and can be particular to any individual area. Seldom are they simultainiously identicle to a very large land mass.
Warmer air can move in any direction,usually up, depending on topogrphy and that is one way hunters often get busted and don't realize it. River banks, ravines and flats are particularily notorious for this. The same applies to the fields on top. Many times I have known Elk , Deer and sometimes Moose to hole up just inside a tree line in the early AM or PM and wait for a favorable thermal to form before entering a field or ascending or descending a rver bank. Warm air thermals, although subtle, seem to be a major part of thier self protecting arsenal and are well worth paying attention to. It's much simpler to play the wind direction, if there is any, than the thermals.