View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 03:44 PM

I haven’t read most of the posts in the thread, so sorry if it was already talked about, but wouldn’t the answer to the question depend on where the blind is located? I don’t do much blind hunting (and hardly any for deer specifically) and sat on a tree stand only a few times in my life (probably somewhere between an hour and two, combined, if I had to guess), but having hunted in various settings I feel like the answer would depend on where the stand is located. For instance, I wouldn't spend any time in the middle of the day at an edge of a field. Sure, there is a chance something might pop out, but I feel like my time could be better used elsewhere, even not hunting. I guess, I am not much of a sitter either. Perhaps, an exception to that would be a mulie doe tag, where, if I chose so, I could literally go to the field and shoot one any time of the day (even for that I choose to hunt differently more often than not though). Also, if you place your stand on the trail to the feeding areas, again, you probably won’t be very successful during the day. And again, I am not a sitter and get bored very quickly if there is nothing going on, so that may be affecting the way I look at it. I would definitely spend 30-60 minutes at a field in the evenings when I have time. I do that without a tag sometimes too, just looking at them doing their thing. Used to do it a lot more before than now.

My most productive hours have always been late in the evening, regardless of where I hunted. Next best is probably mornings, a couple of hours-ish or so into the day. If I sat on tree stands in the field waiting for whitetail, I would imagine my best times would be around first light. Somewhere midday would probably be best for a bush stand/blind.