View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Hi folks..

I was wondering if anyone has run into anyone using their position as a wildlife officer or ACA guy to gain access onto private lands. A friend ran into a farmer who told him about a guy who is a "Wildlife officer" using his land to hunt, and no one was allowed on until he was finished. This guy was also using the company truck. Our friend has seen this truck all over the place while out hunting.

This farmer was convinced that this guy was a wildlife officer and felt compelled to let him on.

This guy is an Alberta Conservation Association employee.

Either way our friend moved on to other places but geez...

Is this allowed??

I know nothing about this, never ran into it because we hunt public lands but wow...

Anyone else ever run into this?? We never have yet.
There's 2 parts to this.

First off I'd be cautious based off of what a "friend" said. Things have a tendency to get a little twisted due to emotions/anger. I'd be interested to see if this landowner was "compelled" as your said and HOW they were "compelled" to let someone hunt. Sounds like your friend may have an issue with wildlife agency employees hunting private land?

I have had landowners offer to let me hunt property they don't allow anyone else to. OR get me in their schedule/hold a spot for me to go whenever I want. Why? I don't know it's their land their decision who hunts it and it's their way of showing appreciation for the job I do? I have also run into landowners who, if they allow someone to hunt prefer someone they deem amore responsible than the average joe blow off the street who got off shift from the local "stop n rob". Generally people believe you would get that with game wardens, first responders, military etc..

Second issue, if they can use their company equipment during rec time? That is a company policy. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Every year I see dozens of company marked vehicles and people in uniforms clearly not on company time engaged in personal recreation etc.. My agency back in the day used to encourage us to hunt while at work. If we saw a critter and had the tag in our pocket go for it. Times have changed for us and now that is not allowed, but that is only 1 agency.

I guess the 3rd thing is, if this IS an issue, why are you asking as how does it directly affect you? Why isn't your friend or bringing it up with the employer of whoever the hunter works for?