View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetreeman View Post
I've used this in the spring while hunting Turkeys in BC. Sprayed it on all my hunting outer layers and let dry prior to heading out.

Cost is under $20 depending where you go to get it.

Contains:

0.05% PERMETHRIN
0.05% PYRETHRIN

Tested it by pulling ticks off my buddy's clothes (he did not use it) and placing them on mine. The ticks immediately raised their legs up and let go of the clothing and fell off. Unscientific testing, however since I started using it I have not had any problems with ticks.

https://www.petland.ca/products/sent...spray-for-dogs
Good to know.

The Sawyer spray for human use they sell in the US has permethrin concentration of 0.5%. The one you used appears to be 10 times “weaker”. Good news is you say it still appears to be working.

I stopped by all (I think) the stores in town that can carry some tick sprays. So far, I found these:

^ 8 bucks at walmart. Permethrin concentration 0.25%. Says not to spray on animals.

^ 29 (I think) bucks at Peavey Mart. Permethrin concentration of 0.80% (!). Also says not to spray on animals.

^ 29 bucks at the pet store and 20 at Peavey Mart, lol. Can spray on animals but contains no permethrin.

So I have been thinking… If I can spray it on my couch and then sit on it for a couple of hours or longer with only my lucky gonch on in the middle of the hot summer evening, I should be fine spraying on my outer layer clothing and wearing it for a few days or a couple of weeks during the hunting season, no? The only problem is that it is still a little too warm midday for layers, hmm…

Leaning toward that 8-dollar bottle from walmart at the moment. Or even that 0.8% stuff from Peavey Mart. Need to look into what other nasty ingredients they may in them. The third one I think is out because there is no permethrin in it, but I may look into the active ingredients further.

Almost bought two Sawyer sprays from cabela’s yesterday, but then noticed there is a “shipping restriction” note there, but it gets me all the way to the credit card screen. Was going to try anyway, but don’t feel like dealing with potential refunds (because I know from personal experience they can screw it up badly). There a couple of other things I would buy from there if I knew these sprays would not be a problem.

P. S. I wonder if this is how a guy trying to score some ivermectin feels. Hahaha.