View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Got chewed up real good last week in 936. Couple days later I soaked myself, and every layer of clothing, in deep woods off. Used up half a can, almost to the point of making me sick of the smell. 1 hour into the hunt, look down, covered in ticks. Didn’t get as many bites, but I caught them sooner.

Miserable little jerks. I will be using permethrin next time. Everyone who has done jungle work swears by it.
If you find permethrin, let me know where. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find some in Canada without much success.

As for deet, I looked into other things today. That tick repellent I posted a pic of above has an active ingredient called icaridin. According to the research and experiments, it is a few steps better than deet as far as repellents go. In fact, it is the best one we have as far as bug repellents go. So if that obviously didn’t work (pants pic above as proof, lol), deet isn’t gonna cut it either.

Permethrin should do the trick. Impossible to find. Cabelas.com appear to be able to ship to Canada, at least according to the check out process before the payment screen. Comes to 50 USD for two bottles. Pricy, but surely worth it if you are hunting in areas like I apparently do. If it works, of course.

I am gonna look more into it and try to find the larger containers in which I can soak my clothes in and air dry it. Even granola munchers appear to be doing that for the backpacking/canoe/whatever trips and swear it works. Not sure if any of them ran into something like this hitting the bush though, lol.

You can also buy presoaked clothes, which “guarantee” will work for 70 wash cycles. All of it kind of sucks for hunting purposes though.

I read a lot of stuff today, lol.