View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 12:14 AM

Yes, last year, this area looked like someone went through it with a shovel. Scrapes were everywhere. I took my buck on November 27-28. Scrapes were still everywhere. There was not nearly as much snow though. I remember I spooked a doe and she took off, but I decided to wait; moved into some thick cover just about 15 yards away and watched the direction I thought she came from. He showed up about 15-20 minutes later with his nose down. When he stopped and lifted up his head, a bullet went through his heart and he dropped at the spot moments later. Good memories...

Back to today... (for non-readers and those not interested - no, no deer today)

I went out. It worked out to be an hour later than I was planning, so the little time I had turned into even less. The plan of walking in from the different direction did not quite work out due to wind. Which was OK though because the amount of snowfall we had yesterday turned out to be more than I was expecting and it would slow me down quite a bit anyways. So yes, I parked at the usual spot. However, I did not walk in the same way as I did the last few times I was there. I walked up the road and moved into the bush a few hundred yards further. The reason I parked in the same spot is because anywhere else I would have to park on the roadway.

There were plenty of fresh tracks close to the road. Lots of snow, about knee high (I am 6'2"), but one could move fairly quietly. The hard cover of freezing rain from last Wednesday would still crack once in while but it was not nearly as bad as it was until today. As I moved further in, the tracks became more scarce. I found a bed from the night before under a small spruce likely left by a buck since it was pretty messy (urine and droppings all over). There was also a rub a few yards away, but it was not fresh; definitely left by a deer though. So I moved in slowly. Not a sound anywhere. I ended up following the tracks of what I thought was a buck and it did not disappoint. Well, it did disappoint because I did not bother to check this particular spot earlier. The tracks lead me to a spot by the largest opening in the area. Just a few yards inside, there were probably a couple dozen of rubs at least. Pretty much every tree (of the right size) had a heavy rub on it. I was in this very spot back in late October-early November and there was no deer sign whatsoever.

I have been in that spot many times over the past few years and I have never seen much deer sign there. What a mistake it was not bother with it much this year. I have no doubt in my mind the guy in the pictures created this. unless there is someone bigger in the area, which I highly doubt.

Interestingly enough, the tracks I had followed (you can see them in the shot above) went by every rub as if it was an inspection. I decided to hang around and see what happens. The wind was perfect since I could place myself so that it blew right into the opening, on a diagonal. There was no way he would move in from there. I stood quietly for some time and nothing. I made a couple of grunts, waited and nothing again. Later I threw a couple of doe bleats. Still nothing. I bet you the guy was watching me then and thinking "What an idiot, lol". I stood some more and decided to move. There was nothing exciting afterwards. Except that I almost walked into a cow moose

How weird are those things? I saw her way before she saw me. I just stood and watched. When she finally realized I was there, she looked at me for some time and then walked away. I moved a little further and decided to hang around. A moment later I heard some noise and it was the cow coming back to see what was going on. When she realized I was still there, she walked away again to only come back a few minutes later. Well, that was the only animal I saw today, excluding birds and squirrels.

It was a great day to be out! I haven't found what I was looking for but I got closer. Well... Not really, lol. I will be going out again on Wednesday morning, from dark to just past noon; and then again on Thursday afternoon. Wish I believed in miracles

Like I said though, it was a great day to spend time outside!

Ooh... Almost forgot. Last but not least, I found something that appears to be the place where Teddy sleeps:

Thanks to all for chiming in! Those who think they have something to contribute, I will be glad to read your advice

Last edited by fishnguy; 11-28-2017 at 12:19 AM.