View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Kamado Joe Rib Cook

After reading, and drooling over all these great posts, i thought I would give an update on my Kamado Joe, which i picked up in May of this year. I was looking at all types of charcoal grills last fall, and had lots of input from fellow members here, thanks!

After much debate, and comparing different units, I pulled the trigger on a kamado Big Joe 111, 24.

It's only my third cook on the Kamado, a real learning curve compared to the old Sears Kenmore propane BBQ! Mainly learning how to control the heat with the sliding damper at the bottom, and the wheel / damper at the top of the unit.

The lump charcoal takes awhile to come up to temp, but found it will burn for a long time when done, even after shutting all the vents, etc. The Kamado
Joe charcoal brand comes into 20lbs bags, and I still have 40 % in the bag, and this is my 3rd cook.

The first cook was 2 rotisserie chickens, and I used some hickory wood chunks with the charcoal, the flavour was WOW!! Chicken was so juicy. Cooked for about 3 hours at 275*F, checking internal temp.

2nd cook was a steak, and grilled veggies, again unreal flavour, no comparison to propane, in my opinion.

Current cook (3rd) 2 full rack of ribs, St Louis style, trimmed the silver skin off, and dry rubbed with a recipe from a website called amazingribs.com, using Meatheads world famous Memphis dust rub, a very good site!

I added 4 small chunks of pecan wood, supposed to give a nice smoke ring, and turn ribs a dark red, we will see!

I took pictures this time to share, will not be done till late tonight though, this recipe calls for low and slow temp ( 225-250*F )

Having troubles uploading pics.........the only pic that would not upload was the first pic showing the ribs with the dry rub, etc.

Will take some more pics after 2 hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07216.jpg (96.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07215.jpg (85.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07214.jpg (83.0 KB, 52 views)