Thread: Wild sheep
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Gotta love a good re-run....

There must be fifty threads from the last ten years discussing this, which will include the hard fought for data from F&W.

The numbers of hunters that kill more than one ram is small.
It's just not worth worrying about unless jealousy is the reason.

Besides, once a hunter knows how to kill rams, they typically share the skill with family and friends to get their first sheep. Lots of guys with a ram or two holding out for their dream while still helping to kill sheep.

Full curl does not increase age of harvest, as the Alberta harvest stats show.
If there is a concern for selective hunting causing genetic shifts, the full curl rule would exacerbate the potential for such harm.

Full curl regs in 400 have reduce harvest by 90%, with rams Younger than the provincial average.
Is this the desired result?

Nothing wrong with more predator control, in conjunction with every sheep hunter taking up smoking and filling those ewe tags.

If we want more old rams on the hill, then don't shoot old rams.
Really. The data I am seeing I think shows 6 legal rams taken in 400 in 2018. Five legal rams taken in 400 in 2017. Is that really a 90 percent reduction in harvest levels? And from a full curl zone non the less. From what baseline are you saying we have a 90 percent reduction in harvest levels? Am I missing something here? Do I have some bad data WB?