Thread: Old Vehicle ID.
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Your Grandpa is dressed pretty fine for stoking bundles of Grain!!!

Rare to find anyone who even knows what I am talking about these days, but it was pure effort to cut and dry grain for a thresher in those days.

Only did it once as a kid. Was on a field of oats and Half the stokes I did fell over.

Drewski
My first job was stooking 40 acres of wheat for a neighbor. I botched the job but dad restooked the whole field for me so that I would get paid.

I was too young at the time for doing the job, and dad sold his thresher and bought his first combine before I was old enough, but I have vivid memories of chasing the wagon as the men picked up bundles for the thresher. As they picked up the bundles mice would scatter and us younger kids had a blast catching the mice, for entertainment later.

I also remember spending hours watching the grain scale do it's thing. It was fascinating how it filled up, then dumped out the grain, tripping a bushel tally in the process. I also loved the sound of the straw blower.

I worked on restoring a 1917 Model T. There wasn't a lot of visible differences between the years from 1915 to 1917 so far as I know.

George Bernard Shaw