View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Lund makes a good boat for lakes and it’s absolutely a regional thing. By regional I mean interior Canada/USA. You don’t see them on the west coast because they weren’t built for those conditions and they don’t handle them well. Heck, the OP got chased off the lake in 1m wind chop which is quite funny when you think about it.
A more interesting question is why do you see so many alloy boats on the northwest coast? I fished off the Charlottes for 15 years and they all claimed it was due to debris in the water even though we never hit anything. My guess is the (north) west coast guys run them because it’s local lore that alloy is stronger if you hit something, the seas aren’t that big, the distances aren’t that great and they can get away with it.
By and large the ocean market is owned by glass boats because glass usually rides more comfortably and it’s dryer.
I’ve fished through the US and Caribbean and now live in Australia and alloy boats are few and far between. The local alloy boats are all made with 5mm hulls and 4mm sides and both bar crusher and surtees have a ballast system to hold water at rest and the option to hold it in on plane so the boats heavier, more stable and doesn’t knock ALL of your fillings out at once. They still can’t hold a candle to a glass boat in normal to rough seas and they aren’t usually 50-100km offshore. It takes to long for them to get out there at the speeds they have to travel and they “might” make up 5% of the boats I see out on the water. If I do see them heading out in anything less then ideal conditions I’m usually travelling much, much faster then they are and they appear to be taking more of a beating then I am.

To compare a kingfisher at nearly 5 tons with a 6mm thick hull to a 900-1400lb Lund with a 2mm thick hull is a bit of a stretch, they’re not built for the same conditions.
That's a total apples to oranges comparison as far as I'm concerned - not even the same type of vessel ... you're comparison isn't even close the way I look at it ....

- Lund's biggest boat is 22 feet (Baron) and the average boat on the coast starts at 24' and goes up into 26'-30' sizes commonly and many of them run 2 full sized outboards

- None of Lunds boats have hard tops - almost every boat on the coast has a hard top

- Lund boats are built to be towed behind a vehicle and launched - the coastal boats stay put for the most part of their lives - the tin is lighter because of it

If I was buying a 16-20' boat for the prairies and Kingfisher wouldn't even get a sniff from me - trust me I really was looking hard at them and they are simply not as good for the way I fish and use my boat. Others may disagree, but for a ski/fish and store my fishing stuff - the Lund was my best option.

Now if I lived on the coast - that's a different story - the Lund wouldn't get a sniff. Worthless on the coast.

Maybe we are saying the same thing here I guess.