View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I looked at Kal Tire for the Nokians in Silverado sizes - doesn't exist unless you want to backtrack to the 17" rims. Onwards!
Why not run a 17” winter wheel? It’s not backtracking because a 17” wheel is much better on a truck than one that is larger for numerous reasons, the sole reason for a larger diameter wheel is primarily just for looks once you have one of sufficient size the clear the brake calipers.

A wider diameter wheel not only weighs more but it moves that increased weight further away from the centre line of the axle which increases the leverage effects it has against both acceleration and braking, accordingly it makes the vehicle slower in both stopping and accelerating and it even affects fuel economy. The gyroscopic effect of a spinning wheel means that the further out the weight is it will also affect steering input by slowing input response and increasing stresses on the wheel bearings & front spindles.

Being that trucks are well, trucks, sidewalk height is important for people that actually drive off road or simply want to avoid curb damage. Tires for smaller wheel sizes are also less expensive so that’s another advantage..

Aside from looks the only advantage to running a larger wheel is better handling due to less sidewall flex, but if you ask me when when people use a truck as a utilitarian tool this is a pretty low priority. If you want handling buy a sports sedan or coupe because something 6’ + tall isn’t going to corner with a Morris Mini Cooper on its minuscule 10” to 12” wheels that allow them really low centres of gravity and excellent throttle response.