View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joholio View Post
So are you saying Whitetail deer numbers are up at normal levels?(we'll use them for example). I live on an acreage in west central Ab surrounded by some of the highest producing hay land around, where we always had several deer come out of the bush each night, and they would herd up in the winter. The last two years there might be 1-3 come out at last light, often times zero. Then it snows and there are almost no tracks, for days. Very few pics of anything on trail cams. None dead beside the highway either. Neighbours say the same thing as I am. So do friends of mine who are landowners out east in the Castor area and other places around the province like Sundre, Calmar and Edson. Guess we're all looking in the wrong places... Are there still some deer around? Yes absolutely, but the numbers are low. The muley herds around seem to survive ok because of the draw and they live at the local feedlots. Just my observations. As for feral hogs? Ive never saw one or evidence of them either, not to say they dont exist but nobody is reporting seeing them either.
I'm seeing more deer this year compared to some years, and less deer this year compared to other years. The herds fluctuate naturally with respect to the winters. Hunting has an impact. Especially during low animal periods. But the biggest factor by far is our winters. Some of the states have twice the hunters per area but hold 5x the deer. Thx to our winters. But yes, not near as many deer this year as say 2006.