Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I'm surprised that a first aid kit and the knowledge required to use it don't get mentioned too often.
yes, some mole skin, maybe aspirin in case the ole ticker starts buggin or for a buddy who might start buggin, aleve (naproxin) is great pain reliever for the trip out, pop it about a half hour before descent on a big day you know is going to hurt on the way out, it lasts a long time but it's good to get ahead of the pain before it starts,

good tip on the advil for the overnights, along with some earplugs you could have some zopiclone sleeping pills if you're a light sleeper also, audible perimeter tripwire style alarm tech has come a long ways so i carry that now but i'm always solo so i need to use something as a buddy

but keep it minimalist like anything, you'll want your tags/licenses of course and in the same ziplock as the small first aid kit, you'll want a havalon knife with a few blades, headlamp, few garbage bags for the meat...that sums up my minimal stuff that always rides in the pack regardless of mission length

rule of thumb that will help going forward too is to audit your pack after every trip....taking note of the stuff you packed around the mountain that you didn't use and start seeing that you'll likely never use....leave it at home, eventually you'll have a pretty sleek set up of gear and what you pack

run a word or excel document for awhile to use a checklist for missions and modify as you go, i keep one printed with my gear stache so i can be half brain dead and throw it together short notice and not forget stuff and get on the road