View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 AM

As I understand it ACA has had problems with meeting the legal requirements for running an aeration system at POL every year since they started it 4 or 5 years ago. They're legally required to maintain fencing around the polynya created by the aerators but the wind can be so severe there (up to 110kph) that the polynya expands and contracts to such a degree that maintaining the fencing - up to 900m of it - has proved impossible. Fencing has also been blown onto surrounding farmland. Net result is that provincial requirements are not met and aeration becomes a risk to the public and to the staff trying to maintain it. I think they tried different locations for installing the aerators but because wind direction is variable the result was the same.
I agree that without aeration stocked fisheries would be severely affected but think this is a one off. I believe there is strong support from ACA and AEP for maintaining stocked fisheries and aerating where possible. Last I heard ACA is even looking to aerate more ponds though I suspect its revenues might be down from major sponsors who are experiencing economic problems and from the lack of licence revenues from American and other visitors.
Would be interested to hear of ideas for solving the problem at POL - I can't think of any.